Monday 3 March 2008

Leap year madness

I don't know what came over me. I woke up on Friday morning thinking that it was just another day in the office - or should I say at home - working on the final pages of the new ecoescape book. Andy was around in the background working on the final pages of his thesis, so it seemed pretty straight forward to me.

But then I had a mad moment at lunch and decided to ask Andy to marry me! As it's a leap year, the girls are allowed to pop the question (else the boys have to pay a fine/buy girl new dress). Luckily Andy said 'yes' which was just great. Except we have no idea how to go about this marriage thing. It feels like the right thing to do for both of us, we just don't know how to do it! I mean, how does one choose a ring, or more importantly, break the news to parents. Let's say, the latter was a learning curve and I've never seen Andy so nervous before. It took him all day to summon up the guts to ask for my parents' permission and, of course, they were absolutely delighted - phew!

So now that part's done, I'm finding it hard to tell everyone else I know so I'm hoping they may read this blog and that's job done. I keep drafting a text message but it just seems wrong - or worse still I could broadcast a 'status update' on Facebook! No way! So my plan is to see how far and wide my mother can spread the news and the rest I'll fill in with some face-to-face get-togethers starting this weekend at what should be our flat warming party. That's unless they read this first...

So to the future then. And I'll not get carried away with spending. I'll not get carried away with spending. I'll just keep repeating that to myself and hope it stops me.

Any ideas or advice on how this marriage thing works, please write!

No comments: